Sunday, April 10, 2005
Isle of misfit toys
Last September I started shopping at the Goodwill thrift store. I haven't been to a department store since. I now buy 99% of K and A's clothes there, most of them new or nearly new. I pay $1.99 for pants, $3.99 for boutique dresses that cost $80.00 in the mall, and most shirts are just 99 cents. It's hit and miss sometimes, but there are certainly treasures to be found. We peruse the clothing aisle first, and then if the girls are well behaved, we go to the "aisle of misfit toys." Unlike the clothes, which are often in good shape or even new, the toy section is populated by well used, often abused toys. Parts are broken, pieces missing, stuffed toys are matted and dirty, and dolls are nude, missing limbs, and scribbled on with markers. It's not a pretty sight. But every once in awhile a real treasure is found, like a clean Curious George tin lunch box, a $20.00 electronic talking stick pony in new condition for $2.99, or a huge bag of doll house furniture for a dollar. The girls love sifting through the rubble, rather oblivious to the dirt and grime, and when we get back to the car I pull out the disinfecting wipes and wipe down little hands, and put the toy or two we bought into the back of the car where it sits until I can give it a proper cleaning when we get home.
Photo taken at the Downtown Seattle Goodwill thrift store
April 2005
Photo taken at the Downtown Seattle Goodwill thrift store
April 2005