Thursday, May 19, 2005
The slide
I've been wanting to set up a climing structure / playset for my little boys (in girls' bodies) for several years. Daddy always objects, wanting every level surface dedicated to fruit and vegetable production, or the hammock. He says they'll outgrow a swingset, we have parks close by, play structures are ugly, cost too much money, take up too much space, etc. I belong to freecycle.org , a great group for recycling and passing on items instead of sending them to the landfill. One day someone posted that they were dismantling a swing set and decided not to keep the slide... would anyone like to have it? I was delighted to go get it (Daddy couldn't argue the price!), and the girls went to work cleaning it up. We didn't have a structure to attach it to, so Daddy propped it up on the yard waste bin, and the girls were in heaven scrambling up the bin and zipping down the slide. I hoped my new aquisition would move one step further toward getting a play structure, but Daddy said, "Why build something, when the yard waste bin works great?" Yes, dear, but it's ugly! Not to mention that it smells bad when it sits in the sun.