Friday, December 16, 2005
Window Shopping
Whenever we go into town, the girls are always enamoured of the "Pink Store" as they call it, which is really Victoria's Secret, which sells lingerie. Much as I try to steer them away, the dazzling window displays beckon, and they stop in their tracks, totally mesmerized. We've never actually gone in, because I have enough questions to answer just from what they see in the windows!
There's been a lot of outrage lately from the Christian majority, complaining that stores, the media, and people in general are no longer saying, "Merry Christmas," but instead the all-inclusive "Happy Holidays" so no one gets offended if they celebrate something other than Christmas. Conservatives complain that Christmas trees, nativity scenes, and even secular Santas are being removed from public places. It is as if they are exclaiming, "Christianity should be front and center! Let those people who celebrate other holidays go back to their countries of origin, because the USA is a Christian nation, freedom of religion be damned!"
Personally, I embrace all facets of the holiday season, from nativities to menorahs. It doesn't matter what I celebrate and don't celebrate, I just love seeing peoples' houses dressed up, candles glowing in the windows, and smelling delicious meals and desserts baking as I walk the neighborhood. But I must admit, replacing "Happy Holidays" with "Give Me Sexy" is a bit of a stretch!
There's been a lot of outrage lately from the Christian majority, complaining that stores, the media, and people in general are no longer saying, "Merry Christmas," but instead the all-inclusive "Happy Holidays" so no one gets offended if they celebrate something other than Christmas. Conservatives complain that Christmas trees, nativity scenes, and even secular Santas are being removed from public places. It is as if they are exclaiming, "Christianity should be front and center! Let those people who celebrate other holidays go back to their countries of origin, because the USA is a Christian nation, freedom of religion be damned!"
Personally, I embrace all facets of the holiday season, from nativities to menorahs. It doesn't matter what I celebrate and don't celebrate, I just love seeing peoples' houses dressed up, candles glowing in the windows, and smelling delicious meals and desserts baking as I walk the neighborhood. But I must admit, replacing "Happy Holidays" with "Give Me Sexy" is a bit of a stretch!